"Our specialty is telling Pasifika stories and our craft is story telling"
Drum Productions is a television, communications and events production company. At its core it provides a powerful and entertaining voice for Pasifika people through the art of storytelling.
We are here to ensure these stories are told in a fresh and authentic way through creative mediums that will excite and entertain audiences around the world.
Drum Productions is New Zealand's first and most celebrated Pacific Islander owned and operated independent production company.
Founded as a theatre company in 1992 by New Zealand born Tongan / Cook Islander Stan Wolfgramm, Drum Productions has grown into a reputable film, television and theatrical events production company winning contracts and mainstream commissions from the likes of national broadcasters, government agencies and corporate leaders.
Directors of Drum Productions are Stan Wolfgramm and Julie Smith
Stan Wolfgramm is a name synonymous with the promotion of New Zealand’s cultural diversity, Pacific programming, fashion and the fostering of emerging talent.
Stan has had an interesting and exciting career spanning over 25 years, starting as an actor, model and dancer, becoming a writer, producer and director, and founding Drum Productions.
During the 80s Stan honed his skills in America, Europe and Australia with national and international training and experience including a two year stint at the world famous Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute in New York. Stan developed a natural interest and affinity for being both in front of and behind the camera working across all mediums including film, theatre and television before returning to New Zealand.
Drum Productions is currently the only NZ independent mainstream production company owned and operated by a Pacific Islander and was founded by Stan in 1992 as a way for New Zealand’s multicultural voice to be heard. Its products are diverse and include the likes of live & OB broadcast Style Pasifika – a celebration of New Zealand culture, Pacific Beat St - New Zealand’s first mainstream magazine Pacific Youth TV series, Tokyo Bros – award winning documentary shot on location in Japan as well as several other influential documentaries and theatre productions.
Ask Stan to distil down what he does, he will tell you he is a storyteller. Whether it be through film, television, live theatre or events, it all comes back to his inherent ability to tell a good story. Of Tongan, German, Cook Island, New Zealand descent, Stan’s cultural identity and ethnic background have been hugely influential over his life and work.
Stan owns Drum Productions with his partner Julie. They live in Auckland with their two sons aged 11 and 13. In his spare time he coaches his son’s rugby team, practices martial arts, stays fit at the gym and loves spending time with his family. He experiences many amazing things and meets remarkable people. A typical week can see him flying in an Iroquois helicopter with the NZ Air Force, filming cancer sufferers, making jewellery with pacific artists, interviewing members of Parliament or listening to urban beat boxers.
Julie Smith combines a rich and progressive experience in Television production, project development and event management with a solid base in business administration.
Julie is well connected in many arenas around New Zealand and internationally. Her production and organizational skills have moved in innumerable and varied circles and her skill base is widespread. She has produced numerous TVC's, corporate videos and short films plus managing many events. She is able to achieve any desired results by maximizing quality control, creative and lateral thinking productively and profitably.
For the past 11 years she has been with Drum Productions working alongside Stan Wolfgramm.
- Drum Productions Westfield Style Pasifika inducted as a permanent feature of the Tangata o le Moana display at our NZ national museum Te Papa.
- Drum Productions nominated for 3 New Zealand Film & Television industry awards for Best Entertainment program and Best NZ Documentary.
- Winner of 2 New Zealand Film & Television industry excellence awards.
- Drum Productions selected by the National Business Review as one of New Zealand's top ten Pacific Business Sector Companies.
- Winner of the Pacific Island Media Association Television Award for pushing the boundaries of shows on television.
- Drum Productions and Westfield NZ winner NBR sponsorship of the arts award for outstanding achievements.
- Drum Productions short film 'Dots Death' was toured through Europe and the United States by the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian New York then archived.
- Drum Productions Stan Wolfgramm presented the inaugural Pacific Navigators Achievement Award by the Pacific Business Trust to acknowledge his contribution to the Pacific community and achievements as a pioneer of Pacific business.